The schedule of club river trips for the new season has now been published on the Calendar.
Each trip has been classified as Beginner (generally Grade 2), Intermediate (Grade 3) or Experienced (3+). If you would like further info, e.g. you are unsure if a trip is suitable, please contact the organiser listed for the trip in question.
We would encourage our newer members to consider attending some of the beginner paddles as they provide a good introduction to river trips, get you some experience on the river and are most importantly, good fun!
General trip guidelines/tips
- Club trips are only open to members.
- If you would like to attend a trip, please ensure you let the organiser know by the last Thursday at the latest before the trip starts – this gives the organiser time to ensure sufficient safety cover is available.
- If you need kit for a trip, let the organiser know well in advance of the paddle – we’ll try to accommodate a request where possible or arrange for you to collect kit.
- You must wear suitable clothing for paddling and appropriate for the weather conditions – many of the trips are held over the winter months when it can be cold.
- A change of clothing is a necessity (for the winter months, this also includes hat/gloves and possibly hand warmers).
- On long trips in particular, it is a good idea to take food and drink (in cold weather, a hot drink).
- Consider taking a dry bag (you can purchase suitable dry bags from RoHo) with personal medication, first aid kit etc – you can store your food, gloves etc in the dry bag too.
- For the advanced trips, a throwline is a necessary item. Additionally, consider taking a knife in your bouyancy aid pocket.
- Boats should be fitted with inflated air bags at all times – not doing so makes the rescue of boats particularly difficult.
- If in doubt, ask the organiser or other experienced paddlers for advice.
- Trips can change venue on the day due to last minute issues such as the weather or river levels – again, it is important to let the organiser know you are attending.
- A lot of the previous trips have videos on our YouTube channel – check them out for an idea of what to expect.